TV Show Review: Bob's Burgers



I know, I know, a cartoon? You're all too old to be laughing at 2D animation and fart jokes! Bring on Citizen Kane and the French New Wave! You are in no position to be watching a couple of silly cartoons making burgers! To all you people, I urge you with all my heart to watch the pilot episode, just watch it and make your judgement then. It is not for everyone, but most people are so quick to dismiss shows that aren't Emmy or Golden Globe-nominated. So if you have time, sit your ass down and watch the pilot, and if you want more, just use this link. Yes, I stream movies and shows, alright, sue me. 

Let's get to it:

Bob's Burgers has a simple premise: the Belcher family owns a burger shop, Bob's Burgers. But things never go well for them and their rival across the street, Jimmy Pesto's Pizzeria, seem to be flowing with customers. Bob's three children, Tina (Dan Mintz), Gene (Eugene Mirman), and Louise (Kristen Schaal) always get into trouble are as interesting to watch as fireworks on a New Year's day. 

I must admit, I was a bit apprehensive embarking on a show with mixed reviews. It received a 7.9 on IMDb so I thought, that's not half bad. Besides, I've seen way too many gifsets and screengrabs of Tina Belcher and I wanted to see more of her in action. The show itself has no theatrics and there is nothing unique or special enough for me to bring up. Their jokes are subtle, dark, crass, but witty nonetheless. If you are expecting comedy like Family Guy or South Park then you will be disappointed. Bob's Burgers do not use real-life celebrity references nor do they offend any racial group or gender. Their comedy is not as controversial as the two aforementioned adult cartoons, but they are funny nonetheless. Comedy doesn't always stem from the ridicule of an ethnic minority.

I've watched every single episode and I can tell you that there are definitely hits and misses. This isn't a show where you laugh out loud, it's a show where you chuckle. Most of the time I just exhale slightly harder as a form of a minor chuckle. It's the type of show where you know it's funny and the jokes are there, but they are so subtle that you don't find it necessary to LOL.

Whenever I tell someone to watch Bob's Burgers, I'll be met with an awkward silence and a raised eyebrow. Not many people outside the Tumblr community watch and know Bob's Burgers. But for all of you still standing your ground, unconvinced that you should hop aboard the Bob's Burgers ship, just spend 20 minutes watching the pilot, alright? You can watch it in the shower or while doing number 2. 

I give this show an 8/10. I am a big fan of comedy and I know funny when I see one. 

No comments :

Post a Comment