Web Finds: What Guys Look For In Girls




I saw this video a week ago because I'm always on top of viral videos, especially any spoken word poetry. Savannah Brown is a 17 year-old girl from Ohio and she made this slam poem in response to the insulting and infamous Nash Grier video about what guys look for in a girl. I think Savannah gets her message across pretty darn well, don't you think?

Let's get to it:

 

Savannah has pretty decent points. It's about loving yourself and accepting who you are and that the media's standards don't define you. That's all good and dandy but it seems so shallow coming from a girl who is absolutely gorgeous. She has this amazing long blonde hair and doe eyes and pouty lips. She looks like she belongs in the pages of a magazine and she's teaching girls, who are mostly way less beautiful than she is, to love themselves. 

It's easier said than done, Savannah. 

Her main concern are her boobs, which she claims are so small that she used to stuff her bra. Join the bandwagon because most of us had to do that growing up, and some still do. But for the rest of us chicas who weren't born with the face of Aphrodite, we probably had more problems that just stuffing our bras. So I'm sorry if I can't sympathize with you, Savannah. I want to, I truly do, but it's difficult when you look like that and I look like an impoverished sweatshop worker in the mornings.

She has learned to love herself and accepted her looks and not let the media dictate how she sees herself but how easy is that for her? I would give my soul and my neighbor's soul to wake up and look like her. It's not easy to love the way we look, and if any of you do, then good on you. Either you have extreme willpower or you fit society's standards of beauty. 

Although I sound really bitter, it's because I am. I have watched this video 3 times hoping that it would penetrate through my cynical skin. But no matter how much she passionately tells me to love how I look, I just can't. Each one of us, if we're all being truly honest, would change at least one thing about our appearance. 

I've always been irked whenever someone who's a conventional beauty persistently complains about their appearance. It's offensive to everyone around them who's obviously significantly less attractive. How about you take a step in a truly unattractive girl's shoes, Savannah, and see if you can still love yourself?

I posted this video because it might move some of you. But it definitely didn't move me. It would be more empowering if she was ugly and overweight because then maybe her struggles would resonate in me. Otherwise, nah. Hearing someone pretty tell people to love themselves is like a billionaire's spoiled daughter telling a homeless girl to love life.

No comments :

Post a Comment