Hot Topic: Self-Hate




Okay what is up with the fact that we're not allowed to talk highly of ourselves, like, ever? Don't you notice that if we talk about ourselves in a positive light, we're seen as show-offs, braggers, arrogant, cocky, those string of names that people call you when you talk about the 10-pound fish you caught during a fishing trip or when you met Harry Styles and he called you hot. It's as if the world wants to bring you down but at the same time encourage you to love yourself. But how can we love ourselves when people will immediately shoot us down once we show a hint of (healthy) narcissism? 

Let's get to it:

I was talking to my friend about how I'm really good at geography, like how I can name all the countries everywhere and know where they are on the world map. I asked her what she's really good at and she replied, "well, I don't like showing off." Alright, I wasn't asking for your resume, girl, I was asking you what you're good at. And since when has talking about your talents become such a taboo subject? Are you not allowed to tell the world, "I'm boss at this, look at me do it."? 

Bragging is when you talk with excessive pride and self-satisfaction about your own achievements. Somehow, that's considered a terrible thing? I mean, sure, it gets annoying sometimes when I hear someone talk about their 5th time being elected team captain or whatever, but honestly, we want to bring down someone who is proud of themselves? Humility is a great thing but let's take a look at what being humble really means; it's when you have a modest or low view of your importance, right?

Being a humble person is praised significantly. Those who can't see their own incredible value are encouraged to keep thinking that they are not worth what they are. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being humble, but there is something wrong when someone is criticized for showing pride at what they do or who they are. 

So what if I make a beeline to your baby grand Steinway & Sons piano in your house and play Bach? Or if I tell you that I have a high GPA? Or that I just got a sweet, sweet car for my 16th birthday? Why am I not allowed to do any of those things?

We are so hell-bent on hating ourselves and thinking we are worth as much as a nickel in Zimbabwe that we forget we are pretty great people. All of us can do things that no one else can. You might be able to play the tuba while running on a treadmill, or you can whistle Beethoven's Symphony no. 9 in D Minor in perfect pitch. We all have incredible stories and achievements and yet we're only supposed to sweep it under the rug or play it down?

No fuck it. 

I know all the states in the USA from left to right, down to where they are placed on a map.

I've learned 5 pieces on the piano in 3 weeks.

When I do my eyeliner equally on both eyes, I think I'm the bomb diggity and I believe I can rule the world solely based on that talent alone.

I like how my ass looks in a bandage skirt. Also, I have a nice ass in general.

I'm a very creative person.

I am often mistaken for being 22-25 years old because they say I act very mature.

I wrote the editor's note for next month's issue of Indonesia Tatler.

I won second place for three years in a row for my school athletic's day hurdles competition.

I love being tall.

I have great taste in music.

I easily make friends with boys better than girls.

Sometimes I look in the mirror and think, "damn girl." 

See, with me, I'm often conflicted. Either I kick myself down to the point of zero self-esteem, or I'm way up above the clouds and I think I am the reincarnation of Jesus in female form. I reside in both ends of the spectrum; so I'm either at zero self esteem or I'm at 100% "I'm freaking awesome." There is no middle ground. But whenever I'm the former, people seem to like it more.

It's not just bragging about your achievements. It seems like you can't talk about yourself in a good way, ever. If you're rich, god forbid you say you're rich. If you're pretty, god forbid you think you're hot shit. If you have a fit body, god forbid you say you're sexy. If you're white, god forbid you talk about privilege. It's ridiculous to think that it's only socially acceptable for us to talk about the shit in our lives and rarely about the promotion we got or the supermodel you just banged. Sure, you can tell them about your achievements once in a while, but more often than not, you will be met with eyes that say, "you're a prick."

I rarely ever hear a rich person imply that they're rich. I also rarely see a pretty girl say they're pretty. But somehow the poor can shout on the mountaintop that they're living in poverty and the world will listen. The ugly can talk about their crooked nose and lazy eye and it's acceptable. Nope. If you're a hot piece of human, say it. There's nothing wrong with admitting that you be lookin' fly.

I'm honestly tired of hearing people talk shit about their lovely self, and I'm also tired of being treated with shaking heads and the look of disapproval whenever I start talking about myself positively. No wonder people are so insecure, we're not even allowed to be secure. I mean, being content with yourself is seen as excessive vanity, for Christ's sake. Being humble has been mistaken for self-hate, and the worst part is that no one seems to want to change that. In fact, the world encourages it.

I am a damn great whistler.

People mistake me for a model all the time.

I write short stories that I'm pretty fond of.

I can sit down and read a book for 6 hours straight and finish it.

My acrylic painting is hung in my dad's office because he loves it.

I'm pretty witty.

I have great hair when I'm in Melbourne because strangers compliment me on it.

Now, what do you love about yourself?


No comments :

Post a Comment