Web Finds: When Love Arrives



Spoken word poetry is beautiful, that is a fact. I have posted another Web Find regarding spoken word poetry, but I just had to put this one in. I showed this to my friend last week and he ended up crying on my bed. I took a picture of the tear stains on my bed sheet and will use that as future humiliation. When Love Arrives is by Sarah Kay and Phil Kaye; independent poets who teamed up to become a powerhouse. They talk about falling in love, and how love comes in different shapes and forms, but is still love nonetheless. How love is this...independent energy that comes and goes whenever it wants to. I think it is beautiful, and I have learned so much about love in less than 5 minutes.

Let's get to it:

When we're young, we have this image of what our future lover will look like. He has to be tall, dreamy eyes, sweet smile, able to paint, sing, or whatever. You make a list of things you want in a boyfriend or a girlfriend, but then someone comes into your life and they're the complete opposite of what you actually want. But somehow, you both fit perfectly. He can't draw or sing, but he can play the guitar and dance. He doesn't know the lyrics to your favorite song, but it's okay because you both have a favorite song now. Love comes in different shapes and forms, but it is still love nonetheless. 

But you have to know that Love will leave, but Love will come again. Different now. Love can stay away for decades and come back after a divorce. Love can show up in a fish market, reeking of tuna.

Love vanished like an amateur magician, and everyone could see the trapdoor but me.
Like a flat tire, there were other places I planned on going, but my plans didn’t matter.
Love stayed away for years, and when love finally reappeared, I barely recognized him.
Love smelt different now, had darker eyes, a broader back, love came with freckles I didn’t recognize.
New birthmarks, a softer voice.
Now there were new sleeping patterns, new favorite books.

My best friend is one of the most amazing and beautiful girl I've ever known. She has experienced different forms of heartbreak and different kinds of relationships. She has given and received more love than I have, and yet, she gets back up, and puts her heart out for auction again and again. It confused me. I mean, here's a girl who's felt betrayal and heartbreak and yet there she is again, falling for someone. It didn't make sense to me...until I heard these pearls in the video:

Love arrives exactly when Love is supposed to,
and Love leaves exactly when Love must.
When Love arrives, say, "Welcome. Make yourself comfortable."
When Love leaves, ask her to leave the door open behind her,
turn off the music,
listen to the quiet.
Whisper, "Thank you for stopping by."

No comments :

Post a Comment