Hot Topic: 4 TV Shows I Will Force My Kids To Watch


I grew up with certain shows, and I'm sure that they shaped a large chunk of my personality, because I heeded the advice of fictional characters more than I did my parents. I feel like good shows truly affect one's character, especially their humor. For instance, I have noticed that many of my best friends would be as big of a Friends fan as I am, or that most of our jokes would be referencing our favorite shows and films. So here are a list of shows that I would probably force my kids to watch.

Let's get to it:

 1. Friends (1994-2004)
You guessed it folks, it's Friends. I grew up with watching sporadic Friends episodes, and it was when I visited my sisters in Melbourne in my prepubescent days that I started watching it regularly. My sisters had all 10 seasons in a box and I watched them as if it held the answer to all my problems. I laughed, I cried, and I found a piece of myself in every character. Their humor is absolutely timeless, and I hope that my children will grow up appreciating top-quality comedy.



 2. Avatar: The Last Airbender (2005-2008)
Not only is Avatar knee-slappingly hilarious (Sokka was my loverboy for years), but it teaches you wisdom, kindness, and the battle between good vs. evil. Most importantly, it teaches you about family and to understand the lives of others. And that no matter your past mistakes or your physical limitations, you can always grow from it and become a better person. This show had an extremely intricate plot, with politics and economics infused within the storyline, which made my young self confused but my older self impressed.



3. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (1990-1996)
I did not grow up watching this, and I was blind to the brilliance of this show until 2012, when I decided that it was time for me to immerse myself in all the hype surrounding this show. Safe to say, I fell in love with it. With the characters, the plot, the humor, everything. This is the sort of show that I would make my kids watch from an early age in order for them to develop strong comedic appreciation. I just really want my kids to grow up funny, okay? Humor is the best personality trait, and I don't want my children to be morbid little fools. 


4. Sherlock (2010-present)
I figured I should shake things up a bit on this list by adding a little mystery. Sherlock makes it on my top 5 for its sheer beauty. As a film major, I want my children to know what looks good on the screen and what doesn't. I also want them to realize that being intelligent is a great trait to have. I don't want my girls to grow up believing that their most valuable asset is their facade. I want them to be curious, to notice their surroundings, and to use their minds more often than their bodies.


Note that I have skipped other shows that I would encourage my children to watch, such as The Simpsons, Family Guy, Seinfeld, That's So Raven, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Heroes, Are You Afraid of the Dark, Bob's Burgers, Grey's Anatomy, Spongebob Squarepants and so on. But I believe that those top 4 are probably the shows that I would strongly want my children to watch. But if I had to choose just one, I would feed them Friends everyday.

No comments :

Post a Comment