TV Show Review: Girl Code


I've seen screencaps of Girl Code on Tumblr, and it's been entertaining reading the quotes spoken from these hilarious ladies, but it wasn't enough for me. I wanted to dig deeper. As usual, I went to my trusted streaming site to watch the show, and one episode in I fell madly in love. It was aired on MTV in the beginning of 2013 and was the spin-off of a similar show entitled Guy Code. It stars a handful of female and male comedians who talk about issues that plague women today, such as crushes, boyfriends, shopping, diets, and so on.

Let's get to it:

The premise is simple: give three to four topics and let the girls (and a few guys) talk about it. It's sort of like a Bro Code or a Guide To Being An Awesome Girl 101. Of course, you wouldn't follow each and every rule, and this isn't a show that people watch with a notebook and a pen to jot down notes. It's just entertaining to see how other girls deal with things we do, especially if it's told in a truthful and funny way.

Each of the girls are stand-up comics, and honestly only a few are actually truly funny on their own. I mean, their commentaries on Girl Code are witty and hysterical, but watching them do stand up makes me cringe. Kind of like seeing your dad make a terrible joke with a waitress. It's not that these women are not funny, it's just that they don't present themselves well on stage. You know those people who are hilarious in your group of friends but they won't actually be able to make it as a stand-up comedian? Yes, these women are like that. They're great to have around during lunch or at a sleepover, but their humor is conversational and situational instead of stand-alone jokes à la Richard Pryor.

The girls come in different shapes and sizes; chubby, skinny, black, Asian, white, Hispanic, straight, lesbian, whatever (finally some diversity). The only thing that ties them all together is their comedy and the fact that they are unapologetically honest when it comes to, well, everything. They speak from personal experience and I feel like these women have experienced it all. The show is not a 'do this' or 'do that', but it tells you what you can do. It's more like a social commentary on issues that women face daily.

It's not necessarily a show where you learn something new. The girls are funny, and it's comforting to hear that other women face the same things we do. What's more interesting is seeing how they react to a situation and going, "OMG I do that too!" You start to feel a rapport with these girls, albeit a very one-sided one. You'll realize that girls aren't very different after all.

Watching this makes me feel like I'm listening to my best friends have a conversation during an all-girl sleepover. You feel so comfortable in your own shoes when you know other girls react the same way and that they find the same issues troubling. If you want a quick watch over your nasty lettuce-filled lunch, then this is the show for you. I give it an 8.3/10 because it's around 20 minutes and lasts as long as the time I take to inhale my delicious meat-infused food. It's good and light entertainment when you're folding laundry, doing the dishes, or taking a dump.

Still not sold? Watch this clip of Girl Code and get back to me. 


No comments :

Post a Comment