Hot Topic: Acceptance


A friend and I have recently been sending each other pictures of our outfits through Whatsapp. An 'outfit of the day' sort of thing, but less public. Then we rate each other's outfits from 1-10, or suggest better shoes or better pants or whatever. It's pretty much pointless except that it's fun for us. This is also the friend that would tell me if my Instagram selfies are unnecessary (in her words: 'don't be one of those people who have good morning selfies'). The funny thing is, I actually do heed her advice on certain things regarding my public appearance. Not just her, but I take into consideration the opinions of my good friends, my family, and even worse, complete strangers.

Let's get to it:

I still don't know the reason behind why us humans need to feel validated in every thing we do. Maybe it goes back to our hunter-gatherer days, but as far as I know, sea turtles don't need his sea turtle buddy to tell him if his shell looks polished enough for his business meeting. Assuming that sea turtles attend business meetings. But anyone who says, "no, I do things my own way! Fuck the rest!" are probably lying to themselves.

We have psychologically imprinted the words, "what would they think?" If you want to wear a really nice sequined dress out for a party, you'd ask that question. If you want to post a selfie, you'd ask that question. If you want to change your major into Visual Arts, you'd ask that question. If you want to break into dance and song in the middle of a Forever 21 store, you'd ask that question. And it's not something that is necessarily wrong, but we're so accustomed to the reaffirmation of others that we've lost sight of who we are as an individual. We're all unique, so why would you want to sweep your idiosyncrasy under the rug?

Now, I'm not exempt from this. I, just like everyone else, use other people's assumptions and opinions about me as a basis for my actions. But I've learned to just do whatever I want to do and wear whatever I want to wear (no matter how much people tell me that I look ugly in my beanie). Of course, I haven't been following this "fuck the world" rule every time. I'm taking baby steps. But the more I do, the more I...express myself or act in a way that isn't up to the standard of society, the more people question me for it. "Why would you do that?"

Why not? Why can't I post good morning selfies just because? Why can't I wear a revealing crop top in summer just because? Sometimes you do something because you like it, sometimes it's because of no reason at all. We don't need to attach reason and logic behind everything we do. Humans aren't that complicated. But I'm guilty of being in both sides of the spectrum here. I have suppressed my desire to do something because of the opinion of others, and I have castigated someone for not complying to the standards set by society.

I'm not writing this to point out your flaw, or my flaw. It's simply an observation. Something that we've all grown so accustomed to to the point where our individuality no longer exists. The fact that each of us are trying to fit into a square hole. Sometimes you just gotta do something just because you want to, and nothing else should matter.

I mean, I can't even wear blue eyeliner without someone asking me why I'm wearing blue eyeliner. Because I think it looks nice, alright? Don't be hatin' on me 'cause of my eyeliner.

No comments :

Post a Comment