Hot Topic: Being An Introvert


I was debating whether or not I should watch the Germany vs. France World Cup match along with hundreds of people with my sisters. It was at midnight, and even though I had the energy to go, I didn't have the motivation to. My sister encouraged me to go with her, but then again, I would rather watch the game by streaming it online in the comfort of my room. But I felt like there was something wrong with me because I refused to participate in this mass viewing of the match.

Let's get to it:

The world rewards extroverts. Those who can smile, talk, and mingle are given pats on the back in the form of social acceptance. They are invited to events and have a reputation for being fun, outgoing, or whatever positive adjective that describes being sociable. People reward extroverts because they are seen as the go-getters, the ones that are intelligent enough to communicate and have the drive to achieve their dreams. The extroverts are noted because they have the power and motivation to be heard. However, the opposite end of the spectrum is not recognized positively the way it should, even though they have achieved just as much throughout history and are equally as intelligent as their counterparts.

I was an extrovert until I was grounded at the age of 15 for...being too much of an extrovert (and that's putting it mildly). For two years, I didn't leave the vicinity of my housing complex. At the cusp of my 17th birthday I was sent to Melbourne and proceeded to live alone for the next 3 years. Spending too much time alone made me shrivel into the corners of my mind and rendered me as a certified introvert. Seriously, I took the official MBTI test with a career counselor a few months back.

Being an introvert doesn't mean that we're antisocial and that we hate the human race; it just means we recharge our energy when we're alone while extroverts recharge theirs by being around others. Spending too much time with people and crowds completely drain me, and I find that time spent alone is much more valuable and precious than time spent with others.

As a teenager, introverts aren't easily socially accepted. We are thought to be odd and different because we refuse to interact with society as much as the extroverts. The truth is, there are just as many introverts as there are extroverts, but it seems that the former crowd is treated as if they're the minority. As if they're the ones that should change to fit the mold of what extroverts think is the 'right' characteristic. The worst part is, some introverts don't actually want to be introverts. Take it from me, I would love to go out partying, but it's just that a part of me can conjure up better things to do in that amount of time. Things I can do in the solitude of my room, for instance. Being an extrovert seems appealing to me simply because of the sheer amount of experience they have compared to mine. Extroverts have gone skinny dipping in Maui and made friends with strangers they met on a trip to Mogadishu. Extroverts are adventurous people who embrace the world in such an admirable way. It is something I cannot do, as many social interactions are quite difficult for me and many introverts. I'm not saying that introverts are completely devoid of adventures and life experiences, but extroverts do tend to be slightly more intrepid.

The thing is, we know that we sometimes need to go out of our comfort zone. Perhaps we need to be a little more spontaneous and crawl out of our shell, and perhaps that's the better way to live for some people, but we are just as comfortable enclosed in our 4 walls as you are amidst a buzzing crowd. The most difficult part about being an introvert is waiting for the acceptance of others. We know that this is simply who we are, but extroverts see us as knots waiting to be loosened. We are pearls trapped in oysters and we just need a special someone or something to expose us to the world and it's magnificent beauty.

No. We don't need a Manic Pixie Dream Girl or Boy, we are fine the way we are.

I always feel like there's something inherently wrong with me whenever I say no to an invitation from my friends or family. Why is it that others are so...normal? Shouldn't people my age be open to new experiences and spontaneous escapades? Then why would I rather stay home and write, read, or rewatch old films?  I often berate myself for, well, being me. For staying home when I could be creating lifelong memories. For choosing the safer and quieter option on a Friday night. I began to reject my own personality simply because the world did too.

"When you look back at your life, you'll regret the things you didn't do more than the ones you did," said H. Jackson Brown. He's right. My best memories are the ones I spent out with my friends, either during the middle of the day or when the sun is asleep. I rarely make any worthwhile memories while cooped up in the State Library reading novel after novel, but that shouldn't bother anyone but me. Some people chase after adventures, some people live them through books. I realized that now. I used to be that extrovert that attempts to get every introvert out of their shell. I used to question these silent beings and scratch my head in confusion when they describe to me their seemingly mundane lifestyle. I didn't understand them, but now I do. I realized that being an introvert can be as exciting as being an extrovert. I am by no means establishing a clear dichotomy on the two characteristics, because I know many can flow from one to the other depending on the situation. However, as someone who is predominantly introverted, I can safely say that we are not 'missing out' on much, because we find that extroverts are also missing out on priceless time alone.

The grass is greener on the other side, but sometimes we need to realize that both gardens are growing flowers, albeit different ones. I am growing gerberas while you are growing lilies. Both are beautiful, and it's time that extroverts see introverts as people who don't need to be saved nor loosened. Many introverts have achieved great things in history just as much as the extroverts, and it's this powerful contrast that makes the world tick. Not everyone should be extroverts, and not everyone should be introverts. But what we should be is tolerant of the other person's characteristic and not coax them into becoming someone you want them to be.

No comments :

Post a Comment