Hot Topic: Getting Ready In The Morning



I was Skyping with my friend this morning before class, and I showed him how I get ready in the morning. I laid out my makeup for him to see and taught him the difference between foundation and concealer, and why lash curlers exist. He was stunned at some of the things I did, especially when I erased my under-eye circles with concealer and did my brows. "Eyebrows are the most important part. I could skip everything else but I would always go out with my eyebrows done," I told him.

Let's get to it:

My friend was shocked at the amount of effort I put into looking presentable in the morning. I told him that it takes me 10 minutes to get ready in the morning, 15 at the most. "Guys don't notice that," he repeated throughout our Skype session as I painted my face. 

I sighed. "I don't do this for guys. I do this for myself."

"Why?"

"I feel better when I have makeup on. It makes me feel good." 

Putting on makeup has a lot to do with feeling beautiful. Without it, I feel naked, like something is missing. Of course I can feel my fresh skin thanking me when I have my no-makeup days, but then again when my face is covered by a mask of NC35 pigments, it is my self-esteem that extends its gratitude. It is because with makeup, I know that I have enhanced my features and eradicated my flaws. If I had the choice to look better, I will always take it. I would rather waste 10 to 15 minutes of my time polishing my shell than to walk out of the house without a shine. Beautifully wrapped presents are more appealing than one that is stitched together with visible tape.

However, I find that many people have a lot of beef when I tell them about my morning routine. Of course, girls who participate in a similar routine will strike a conversation with me about what brands I use and so on. But girls who don't wear makeup (either because they are flawless regardless or because they don't give two shits) often shame me for spending time 'putting on' my face. 

The girls who don't give a crap about how they look will tell me about how they just 'roll out of bed' in the morning and that they 'can't be bothered' to put on makeup. I often trace a hint of superiority in their voices as they point out their simple approach to life. As if engaging in this makeup routine makes me a victim of the patriarchal media. Most of these girls, I might add, have astonishingly clear skin, or at least clear enough to get away without padding on a few layers of foundation. See, makeup is not necessary, but clean skin is the basis of everything. If you have clear skin, you don't need much else.

I don't like being shamed for spending my own free time the way I want to. I understand if most girls just can't give a flying pigeon about makeup, but they should know that girls wear makeup for many reasons. We wear makeup to feel beautiful, we wear makeup to be beautiful, and we wear makeup because it is fun. There is nothing more exciting than using your own face as a canvas. Getting ready is a part of the day that I actually enjoy. I don't see my morning rituals as something banal, I see it as an exciting activity. And getting ready for a night out means experimenting and becoming the person you wish to be for the next few hours. Getting ready for a party is usually better than the party itself.

I don't wear makeup for boys, nor do I wear it for friends. If I were to go to an unknown location, I would still add a bit of makeup on me. Simply because I would always choose to make myself feel better. I am as obsessed with my appearance as the next girl. I fuss over my stray eyebrow hair and that tiny spot on my chin, and I am not ashamed of it. I sacrifice my time and put effort into looking presentable, and I see nothing wrong with that.

We should not be shamed for taking our time to make ourselves look and feel beautiful. Our body is a temple that we must decorate, but if we don't then it's alright too.

No comments :

Post a Comment